Project management is the foundation on which each and every construction project is based on. Without proper project management, no construction can be effectively and timely developed. Reddy Kancharla, an experienced construction professional, mentions that a construction project manager must have the needed skills and competencies to perfectly navigate through various complexities involved in such a project. They must also be able to effectively establish a functional connection with the discerning teams and stakeholders involved in a project. Construction projects typically have a consistent need for alterations, and systematic management is needed to provide stability to the whole procedure.
In the words of a layman, construction project management can be defined as the regulation and supervision of a project, right from its early development to completion. Reddy Kancharla says that the key goal of this process is to make sure that a project is completed while paying heed to the requirements of the clients in regards to functionality, quality, design and budget. Proper construction project management is needed for all types of projects, commercial, residential, industrial, and heavy civil.
Construction project management ideally focuses on the pre-construction and construction phases of any building project. As per Reddy Kancharla, this process starts the moment a bid for the project is received. Here are major steps or phases involved in it:
- Initial stage: At this stage, the client shares their brief with the construction company. This brief would talk about the key vision of the project in the mind of the client, as well as their requirements pertaining to project design, functionality, and budget. The team of the construction company has to competently draft a plan on the basis of this brief.
- Pre-construction: This shall include the aspects of field testing, team assembly, and contract negotiations. Construction project managers must make sure that all parties involved in the project are on the same page in this early stage itself, so as to avoid any confusion later on.
- Tools and equipment: This phase will mark that it is time to ultimately get started with the construction process, while following the agreed upon draft and budget.
- Execution: This is the most crucial stage, as it is here that the actual construction happens. The project managers should properly determine workflow and individual responsibilities in this phase, to ensure that the things keep running in a smooth fashion.
- Commissioning: The construction team meets with the clients after the construction is over, to explore the best ways to operate and sustain the new facility.
- Project completion: If the constructed property effectively meets the requirements of the clients, then all the important details related to is neatly finalized at this stage. The construction project managers usually try to review and learn from the process, acquire valuable feedback from the clients, and draft any needed close-out documents at this stage.
Construction project management plays a major role in ensuring that a project is completed in a systematic manner.